join our journey
Net plastic neutral is the state when the net plastic associated with a company, brand, or product is reduced to zero—using a calculation and an offset—for a defined period5. We’re partnering with Plastic Bank®5 to reduce ocean-bound plastic waste. For every clariti®1 day or MyDay®, Biofinity and MiSight 1 day contact lens14 we sell, we purchase a credit from Plastic Bank to collect and convert an equal amount5 of plastic through their global network.
Our partnership with Plastic Bank makes clariti® 1 day, MyDay®, Biofinity® and MiSight® 1 day14 net plastic neutral. This initiative automatically accounts for and offsets the weight of plastic in each box of clariti® 1 day and MyDay®, Biofinity® and MiSight® 1 day14 distributed in Canada. This includes not only the plastic in the lens itself, but also the blister, adhesive, and packaging laminates, and even the plastics in the ink printed on the boxes.
Founded in 2013, Plastic Bank is a social enterprise organization committed to reducing ocean-bound plastic through the collection, processing, and reuse of general plastic waste6 collected in vulnerable coastal communities. Through our work with eye care professionals across Canada, we have seen the measures you’re taking to bring more environmentally friendly efforts into in your practices. We wanted to provide an easy way for yourself, your staff, and your patients to be more sustainable. This partnership provides an easy way for you to be a part of making a big impact in our environment. Materials collected by Plastic Bank are reprocessed for reintroduction into the global manufacturing supply chain.
Plastic Bank provides opportunities for social by enabling people in coastal communities to collect ocean-bound plastic within 30 miles of an ocean or a waterway leading to an ocean. In exchange, they receive bonuses which helps them provide basic family necessities such as food, clean water, health insurance, or school tuition. By prescribing clariti®1 day, MyDay®, Biofinity® and MiSight® 1 day you’re not only creating a better future for our planet – but the people who live on it.
*As of Q1 FY 2018. Data subject to change.
1. CVI data on file 2021. Decision Analyst online survey with 1-day soft CL wearers in Canada, n=300. Top 2 on 5 point scale. Pre Concept Review.
2. CVI data on file 2021. Decision Analyst online survey with 1-day soft CL wearers in Canada, n=300. Top 2 on 5 point scale. Pre Concept Review.
3. CVI data on file 2021. Decision Analyst online survey with 1-day soft CL wearers in Canada, n=300. Top 2 on 5 point scale. Pre Concept Review.
4. Plastics Industry Association. Why is medical plastic packaging so essential? Accessed January 5, 2021. https://thisisplastics.com/safety/why-are-medical-plastic-packages-so-essential/
5. Amount is defined as weight. Net plastic neutrality is established by purchasing credits from Plastic Bank. A credit represents the collection and conversion of one kilogram of plastic that may reach or be destined for waterways globally. CooperVision purchases credits equal to the weight of plastic in clariti® 1 day orders in a specified time period. clariti® 1 day plastic is determined by the weight of plastic in the blister, the lens, and the secondary package, including laminates, adhesives, and auxiliary inputs (e.g. ink). CVI data on file 2020. Sustainability report, clariti® 1 day in US.
6. About Plastic Bank. Accessed December 21,2020. https://plasticbank.com
7. Luensmann D et al. Toric lens fitting success supported by an online fitting App. Poster to be presented at NCC/BCLA 2020. Woods J et al. Validation of a multifocal contact lens online fitting app. BCLA poster presentation 2019. Retrospective analysis refraction data with OptiExpert (n=96 eyes) with Rx range +5.00 to -6.00DS, ≤ -1.00DC; ADDs +1.50 to +2.50D.
8. CVI data on file 2021; Rx coverage database n=203,946 eyes; 14 to 41 years for clariti® 1 day sphere and clariti® 1 day toric; 42 to 70 years for clariti® 1 day multifocal. Combined 82.2% coverage.
9. CVI data on file 2020. prospective, double masked, bilateral, randomized cross-over dispensing 1-week study, with clariti® 1 day and 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST in FRP SiHy wearers. N=55; p<0.01.
10. Observational satisfaction survey involving 1718 patients (new lens wearers n=1091, refitted lens wearers n=627) who were fitted with clariti® 1 day.
11. White K, Habib R, Hardisty DJ. How to SHIFT consumer behaviors to be more sustainable: a literature review and guiding framework. J Marketing. 2019;83(3):22-49. doi:10.1177/0022242919825649.
12. Veldwijk J. The role of sustainability in customer loyalty. CustomerThink. October 12, 2020. Accessed January 4, 2021.
13. CGS survey reveals sustainability us driving demand and customer loyalty. News release. CGS; January 10, 2019. Accessed January 3, 2021.
14. [clariti® 1 day / MyDay® daily disposable, Biofinity® and MiSight® 1 day] is defined as orders and includes [clariti® 1 day sphere, clariti® 1 day toric, and clariti® 1 day multifocal/ MyDay® daily disposable, MyDay® daily disposable toric, MyDay® daily disposable multifocal, Biofinity® sphere, Biofinity® XR, Biofinity® Energys, Biofinity® toric, Biofinity® XR toric, Biofinity® multifocal, Biofinity® toric multifocal, MiSight® 1 day] product sold and distributed by CooperVision in the Canada.
15. Reference: Sulley A et al. Experience and subjective responses for children switched from single vision to dual focus myopia control daily disposable contact lenses. BCLA paper presentation 2021.].
16. Reference: Woods, J., Jones, D., Jones, L., Jones, S., Hunt, C., Chamberlain, P., & McNally, J. (2021). Ocular health of children wearing daily disposable contact lenses over a 6-year period. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye.
17. REF: CVI data on file 2021. clariti 1 day CL considerers sustainability research survey 205 US consumers aged 16-35 years, Decision Analyst, April 2021.